My husband and I did the most brilliant thing ever in the history of the universe. We needed a change in scenery and the children would be coming with us. But we didn’t actually want to go on a trip or vacation because that is WORK.
There isn’t really any way to solve this problem unless you have family to travel with and the downside to that is…family. (Love you guys!)
We opted for a staycation in the middle of nowhere where hotels are cheap but restaurants are available enough. We googled around until we found a few reasonable family activities. Our few days included:
- traveling only 55 minutes
- walking around a lake
- touring a craft store and lollygagging enough to touch and play with all the things
- visiting an arboretum
- discovering a BBQ place that sits next to a small airstrip
- plane watching (see above)
- eating ice cream for dinner
- opening a few special gifts from mom to the tune of $10 total
None of these things were glamorous or spectacular but it was the best fun we’ve probably had all summer as a family.